Room 1507, Young Teacher's Apartment, Wangjiang Campus, Sichuan University, No. 24, South Section of First Ring Road, Chengdu, China
+86 18380120601 (China)
Computer software and
Workbench Multisim 2001
C & C++ Programming
Lab View (NI, DAQ, A/D, Control, Signal Processing)
Origin Pro 9.1
Materials Studio (Basic)
1.High Voltage Engineering
2.HV Instruments design &
4.Polymer Synthesis (PI &
Theory & Compatibility
8.Technical Report Writing
10.Research & Development
NAME: SHAKEEL AKRAM ELECTRICAL HIGH VOLTAGE ENGINEER
An able, enthusiastic, skilled and reliable doctor in electrical engineering, seeking a position that reflect my experience skills and personal attributes including dedication, meeting goals, creativity and the ability to follow through.
Area of Interest:
High voltage technology and insulation (HVDC Cables, Rotating machines, COMSOL and MATLAB based simulation and modeling, Transformer paper and fault diagnosis condition monitoring) Nanodielectrics, Microscopy (SEM/TEM/AFM), Renewable Energy, Electrical characterization of insulating materials such as aging , partial discharges, space charges, dielectric spectroscopy, electrical breakdown strength and lifetime prediction using deep learning and Artificial intelligence, Solar Thermal and Solar PV Technology.
1st-PhD in Electrical Engineering
2nd-PhD in Electrical
Master in Electrical
SWJTU, Chengdu, China.
Montpellier University, Montpellier, France
CQU Chongqing, China
2016 CSC Outstanding International Student Award
Campus France Funding
85% A+ Grade (with Honors) CSC Scholarship
Final Year Project (BSc):
Design and Implementation of Mini Solar Thermal Power Plant (10kW)
Main features of the project are:
· Design of microcontroller-based sun tracker hardware & simulation
· Design of steam, pressure and temperature control system
· Design of generator voltage and frequency control circuit
· Economics calculation of the project
Research Thesis (MSc):
Title of the Thesis "Space Charge Measurement of LDPE/MMT Nanocomposites"
Main features of the research thesis are:
Orientation of MMT nanoparticles into LDPE using electric field for better dispersion and distribution.
Effect of temperature and moisture on space charges.
Effect of nanoparticles contents and electric field on space charges.
PhD Thesis on topic “ High temperature electrically resistant multilayer polyimide nanodielectrics films for future electric motors insulation”
1 st PhD research thesis project was funded by the NATURAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION CHINA (NSFC).
Main features of research are:
Synthesizing of multilayer nanocomposite/PI films (Al 2 O 3 , SIO 2 ).
Deposition of thin multilayer nanodielectric films using sputtering and photolithographic techniques for different type and size of nanoparticles and study their interfaces and interphases.
Frequency and Rise-time effect of pulse waveform on PD and BD strength.
Cavity and layer interface numerical modeling for space charge accumulation.
Corona resistance lifetime under pulse power voltage waveforms.
Physical and chemical characterization using TEM, SEM, EFM, FTIR tests study.
Electrical characterization such as space charges, trap levels, breakdown strength and dielectric spectroscopy.
FEM based modeling in COMSOL Multiphysics software for nanocomposite/PI layer structure to check internal electric field distribution and thermal conductivity.
PEA Test Instrument Design:
During PhD one of the objectives was to design “Pulse electro acoustic measurement system” PEA to detect space charges inside dielectric materials by collaboraitng with Prof Zhou Kai. Main features are:
Square wave pulse generator
➢ O/P voltage ≥2.5 kV (adjustable), Rise and fall time ≤ 10 ns, Load 50-ohm, Repetition frequency upto 5 kHz (adjustable), Polarity unipolar, Lifetime of the switch ＞10 6 Pulses, O/P connector type'N', Communication interface RS232, I/P voltage supply 200-240 Vac.
➢ Electrode design, Acoustic signal detection part contains piezoelectric transducer sensor, impedance matching and detection structure.
Signal/Data acquisition part and interface with computer
➢ It is used to convert original output signal into charge density and get electric field distribution and potential
PD Sensor Design Study in Sichuan University:
Archimedean spiral antenna design by using HFSS software in Sichuan University HV Lab under Prof Wang Peng supervision. We used this antenna as PD sensor to collect partial discharge signals range of (300 MHZ to 3 GHz) under pulse voltage waveform by varying rise-time and frequency of this waveform, the values were selected according to practical application of traction Motors.
Currently working as research associate position in Sichuan University Chengdu China (2018-09 to continue)
Two years part time research assistant (RA) to operate High voltage Instruments in Southwest Jiaotong University (Mar 2014-Jul 2016).
Six-month mutual project to design and operate pulse generator and PD sensor with Sichuan University China (Jan 2016-Jul 2016).
One and half year teaching experience as lecturer in University of Central Punjab (UCP) Lahore Pakistan. (Mar 2012- Nov 2013).
Internship in KAPCO (Kot Addu Power Company Limited) (Jul 2009 – Sep 2009).
Internship in PEPCO (Natural Gas Power Station Piranghaib Multan) (Feb 2009-Mar 2009).
High Voltage Technology Projects:
Study on the mechanism of the influence of high frequency pulse on the turn to turn insulation partial discharge and corona resistance life of variable frequency motor (NSFC 51977134)
Study on failure mechanism and material modified of the insulation of traction motors in ultra-high-speed EMU (NSFC 51177136) (2012.1-2015.12)
Study on damage mechanism under mechanical and electrical mutual effects between pantograph and catenary in high-speed railways (NSFC key project U1234202) (2013.1-2016.12)
Articles in journals:
1. Shakeel Akram , GuoQiang Gao, Yang Liu, Jian Zhu, Kai Zhou, Guangning Wu "Degradation Mechanism of Al 2 O 3 Nano Filled Polyimide Film due to Surface Discharge under Square Impulse Voltage", IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Vol. 22, No. 6, 2015. (SCI)
2. Shakeel Akram , Guangning Wu, GuoQiang Gao, Yang Liu, Xueqin Zhang and Kai Zhou “ Cavity and Interface effect of PI-Film on Charge Accumulation and PD Activity under Bipolar Pulse Voltage” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology (JEET), Vol . 10, No. 5, pp. 2089-2098, 2015. (SCI)
3. Shakeel Akram , Yan Yang, Xin Zhong, Shoaib Bhutta, Guangning Wu, Jerome Castellon, Kai Zhou, "Influence of nano layer structure of polyimide film on space charge behavior and trap levels" IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation . Vol. 25, No. 4, 2018. (SCI)
4. Shakeel Akram , M Tariq Nazir, Jerome Castellon, Serge Agnel, Kai Zhou and M Shoaib Bhutta “Preparation and distinguish dielectric properties of multi-layer nanoparticles-based polyimide Films” Materials Research Express 6, 125092, 2019. (SCI)
5. Shakeel Akram, Jerome Castellon, Zhou Kai, Serge Agnel, Jean-pierre Habas, M. Tariq Nazir, “ Dielectric properties and modeling of multilayer polyimide nanocomposite to highlight the impact of nanoparticles dispersion” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, June 2020, (accepted). (SCI)
6. Shakeel Akram, Jérôme Castellon, Serge Agnel, Zhou Kai, Jean-Pierre Habas, M. Tariq Nazir, “Multilayer polyimide nanocomposite films synthesis process optimization impact on nanoparticles dispersion and their dielectric performance” Journal of Applied Polymer Science , July 2020, (accepted). (SCI)
7. Muhammad Tariq Nazir, Faizan Tahir Butt, Bao Toan Phung, Guan Heng Yeoh, Ghulam Yasin, Shakeel Akram , Muhammad Shoaib Bhutta, Shahid Hussain and Tuan Anh Nguyen “Simulation and Experimental Investigation on Carbonized Tracking Failure of EPDM/BN-Based Electrical Insulation” Polymers 12 (3), 582 2020. (SCI)
8. M. Tariq Nazir, BT Phung, Shengtao Li, Shakeel Akram , M. Ali Mehmood, Guan. H. Yeoh & Shahid Hussain “Effect of micro-nano additives on breakdown, surface tracking and mechanical performance of ethylene propylene diene monomer for high voltage insulation” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics 30 (15), 14061-14071 2019. (SCI)
9. Muhammad Shoaib Bhutta, Lijun Yang, Zhipeng Ma, M. Tariq Nazir, Shakeel Akram , M. Ali Mehmood and Nouman Faiz, “Simulation of Thickness Controlled DC Breakdown of XLPE Regulated by Space Charge & Molecular Chain Movement” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 2020, (accepted). (SCI)
10. Shakeel Akram , Liao Ruijin, Muhammad Tariq Nazir, Lijun Yang, Baige “Space Charge Characteristics of LDPE/MMT Nano-Composite Insulation Material under different Fields and Temperatures” International Journal of Electrical & Computer Sciences IJECS-IJENS Vol: 12 No: 03 2012. (EI)
11. Muhammad Tariq Nazir, Jiang Xingliang, Shakeel Akram , “Laboratory Investigation on Hydrophobicity of New Silicon Rubber Insulator under Different Environment Conditions” International Journal of Electrical & Computer Sciences IJECS-IJENS Vol: 12 No: 03 2012 (EI)
1. Shakeel Akram , Jérôme Castellon, Serge Agnel, Jean-Pierre Habas, Zhou Kai, M. Tariq Nazir “Impact of Nanocomposite Thin Layer on Nanoparticles Dispersion and their Dielectric Properties” IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (CEIDP) 2019, Washington, USA. (Oral presentation)
2. Shakeel Akram , Jérôme Castellon, Serge Agne, M. Zeeshan Khan “Space Charge Analysis of Multi-Structure Polyimide Films using TSM”, IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (CEIDP) 2018, Cancun, Mexico. (Oral presentation)
3. S. Akram , G. Wu, G. Gao, Y. Liu, “Effect of Surface Discharge on Nano Filled Polyimide Film under Square Voltage” 33 rd IEEE Electrical Insulation Conference held on June 2015 Seattle, USA. (Poster presentation)
4. S. Akram , FH Malik, RJ Liao, B. Liu, T. Nazir, "Microcontroller Based Single Axis Intelligent Control Sun Tracker for Parabolic Trough Collectors", The International Conference on Materials Engineering and Automatic Control (ICMEAC2012) China, Advanced Materials Research, Vols. 562-564, pp. 1772-1775, Aug. 2012.
5. MT Nazir, MS Nazir, XL Jiang, S. Akram , "Performance of De-Energized Polymeric Insulating Material under Various Environment Stresses", The International Conference on Materials Engineering and Automatic Control (ICMEAC2012), China Advanced Materials Research, Vols. 562-564, pp. 60-63, Aug. 2012.
6. Xin Zhong, Akram Shakeel , Yan Yang, Guoqiang Gao, Guangning Wu “Preparation and Corona-Resistance Characteristics of Double-layer Polyimide/Al 2 O 3 Nanocomposite Film” 2016 IEEE International Conference on High Voltage Engineering and Application (ICHVE), IEEE Xplore December 2016, Chengdu China.
English Language: BEC (Business English Communication Level C), IELTS Academic (6.5 Band), IELTS General (6.5 Band)
Chinese Language: HSK 3
French Language: (Basics) A-1
International Awards & Certificates:
2016 CSC Outstanding International Student Award (certificate with 30000 rmb cash prize)
Master degree with Distinction (Honor certificate)
Foreign Seminars & Trainings:
· IEEE CEIDP conference October 2019 Richland, Washington, USA.
· IEEE CEIDP conference October 2018 Cancun, Mexico.
· IEEE EIC conference June 2015 Seattle, USA.
· IEEE-DEIS summer school 2016 in Xian, China.
· IEEE-DEIS workshop training 2017 Xian, China.
· Volunteer work in ICHVE 2016 Chengdu and ICEMPE 2017 Xian China
· Exchange Research program Institut de Electronique et des Systèmes (IES-GEM) Université de Montpellier, Montpellier, France.
· COMSOL Multiphysics software training course.
China, Malaysia, Thailand, USA, France, Germany, Belgium, Netherland, Spain, Mexico